This cake is a perfect afternoon treat, with the citrus tones of Earl Grey tea in the syrup wonderfully complimenting the lemon and blackberries in the cake – fresh and fruity for the summer!
This recipe is for 2 English baking pans.
What you’ll need:
- 6 eggs
- 300g sugar
- The contentss of 1 stick of vanilla
- 200g sour cream
- 300g flour
- 5g baking powder
- 100g lukewarm melted mutter
- 130g lemon juice
- Zest of 4 lemons
For the syrup:
- 500ml water
- 2 Earl Grey teabags
- 1-3 drops of bergamot extract
- 300g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 160°C
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a food blender until the mixture has a thick consistency and is light in colour
- Slow down the beating and add the sour cream, flour, baking powder, melted butter, lemon juice and zest. Mix until the mixture is smooth
- Pour half of the batter into the baking pans which have been greased and floured
- Sprinkle in blackberries and put in the remainder of the batter
- Bake for about 40 minutes until a knife put into the middle of the cake comes out clean, but do not dry it completely
- Remove the baking pans after about 20 minutes
- In the meantime, boil the syrup for about a minute and strain
- Spread the syrup on the cakes while they are still warm and then allow to cool
- Make sure to wrap the cakes well or store them in an airtight container to keep them staying fresh
A pot of Ahmad Tea Earl Grey is obviously a perfect accompaniment for this cake – but we would also recommend trying it with our English Afternoon tea!
Please let us know if you try out this recipe, or if you have any of your own recipes that you would like to share!