Sustainability initiatives at Ahmad Tea global production facility in UAE – described by the team that makes them happen.
From solar panels and LED lights, to plastic reduction and efficient shipping routes – there are numerous activities that are helping the company on its journey to a more sustainable future. Helen, Vijay, Faiyaz, Neeraj and Marie believe that tea drinkers should be confident that their cup of tea is impacting the world in a positive way.
We are proud that our focus on sustainability has been recognised and this year we have received a gold accreditation from the world’s largest and most trusted provider of business sustainability ratings: EcoVadis.
In 2020 we were awarded a silver rating and since then we have worked hard to improve our UAE Factory. In 2021, major improvements included:
- Reducing carbon emissions by 6% compared to 2020.
- Our solar power plant now contributes to 18% of our total energy requirement.
- We reduced carbon emissions by 85.7 tons of CO 2 compared to 2020.
- We switched to Triplex board which is 100% recycled and makes up 67% of all our packaging.
- We now use recyclable cellophane in our 20 enveloped tea bags and packet tea which makes up 17% of total cellophane use.
- We eliminated 1.5 tons of cellophane plastic by switching to glued cartons for our 500g packet teas.
- We’ve replaced wooden pallets with slip sheets from our tea suppliers and have also eliminated the use of wooden pallets entirely, saving 338 trees a year.
- We reduced fossil fuels by ensuring each import and export container carried a maximum load.
- Over 800 plastic pallets are now returned to tea suppliers for re-use, reducing plastic pallet production by 16 tons.
For us, sustainability is the bridge between now and the future. If we don’t focus on driving through our commitments to improve sustainability, we will let down future generations.
We would like to thank the support of our Ahmad Tea drinkers for allowing us to invest in the future health of our planet. Together we can limit our impact on the environment now and for future generations.
Tips for Healthy Digestion: Guest Blog
Tips for a healthy digestion in this guest blog. Learn how to improve digestive health through making changes to your…
Meet Neil Pavely Tea Room Manager
Ahmad Tea has a global reputation for its tea blending and one person who has witnessed the company grow into…
Boosting Energy: Guest Blog
Discover tips for boosting energy in this guest blog. From natural remedies to lifestyle changes, find out how to increase…
Women in Tea
We are proud to announce our latest initiative to support and elevate women in the tea industry. It’s a new…
Employee Spotlight – Tim Connor
Tim Connor has been instrumental in growing two important aspects of Ahmad Tea: the growth of its ventures in some…
Period Poverty – supporting Women in Malawi
Ahmad Tea's commitment to making a difference extends beyond providing quality tea products. In 2022 we started supporting Ufulu, a…
Employee Spotlight – Tracey Wakelin
Tracey Wakelin leads the global marketing team at Ahmad Tea. She is responsible for driving the marketing agenda. We caught…
Sleep: Are you getting enough?
Getting the right amount of good quality sleep can be critical to how we function during the day. If you've…
Employee Spotlight – Gary Winslade
This month we caught up with Gary Winslade, Ahmad Tea’s UK Sales Manager to understand more about the brand’s plans…