Sustainability initiatives at Ahmad Tea global production facility in UAE – described by the team that makes them happen.
From solar panels and LED lights, to plastic reduction and efficient shipping routes – there are numerous activities that are helping the company on its journey to a more sustainable future. Helen, Vijay, Faiyaz, Neeraj and Marie believe that tea drinkers should be confident that their cup of tea is impacting the world in a positive way.
We are proud that our focus on sustainability has been recognised and this year we have received a gold accreditation from the world’s largest and most trusted provider of business sustainability ratings: EcoVadis.
In 2020 we were awarded a silver rating and since then we have worked hard to improve our UAE Factory. In 2021, major improvements included:
- Reducing carbon emissions by 6% compared to 2020.
- Our solar power plant now contributes to 18% of our total energy requirement.
- We reduced carbon emissions by 85.7 tons of CO 2 compared to 2020.
- We switched to Triplex board which is 100% recycled and makes up 67% of all our packaging.
- We now use recyclable cellophane in our 20 enveloped tea bags and packet tea which makes up 17% of total cellophane use.
- We eliminated 1.5 tons of cellophane plastic by switching to glued cartons for our 500g packet teas.
- We’ve replaced wooden pallets with slip sheets from our tea suppliers and have also eliminated the use of wooden pallets entirely, saving 338 trees a year.
- We reduced fossil fuels by ensuring each import and export container carried a maximum load.
- Over 800 plastic pallets are now returned to tea suppliers for re-use, reducing plastic pallet production by 16 tons.
For us, sustainability is the bridge between now and the future. If we don’t focus on driving through our commitments to improve sustainability, we will let down future generations.
We would like to thank the support of our Ahmad Tea drinkers for allowing us to invest in the future health of our planet. Together we can limit our impact on the environment now and for future generations.
Sabry Sikkander – Manager Administration
This month, we’re privileged to shine the light on Sabry Sikkander who has played a pivotal role developing and growing…
Ahmad Tea’s China Facility
We’re delighted to announce that Ahmad Tea China, our business partner within the territory, has opened a new factory in…
Ahmad Tea’s Japanese distributor celebrates its centenary
This month, our Japanese distributor, Tominaga Boeki Kaisha Ltd. (TBK), celebrates its 100th anniversary and we wanted to mark this…
Nadia Rodriguez – Key Account Manager
Nadia Rodriguez is one Ahmad Tea’s Key Account Managers and has recently appeared on our LinkedIn feed celebrating Ahmad Tea’s…
Infused with Impact – Sustainability Report 2023
Our Chairman, Rahim Afshar is delighted to share our sustainability report and to explain how every drop of our tea…
World Children’s Day
It takes a village to raise a child. find out how the tea drinkers of Ahmad tea are helping children…
Pennie Doddington – Data Systems Project Manager
This month, we were delighted to spend some time with Pennie Doddington, Ahmad Tea's data analyst. She's known for her…
Dominic Marriott – Senior Tea Taster
Dominic Marriott, is Ahmad Tea’s Senior Tea Taster and holds one of the most important roles in the company, we…
Adam Nawrocki – Logistics Manager
This week our employee spotlight falls on Adam Nawrocki. Adam is Ahmad Tea’s Logistics Manager and he plays a pivotal…